Saturday, October 11, 2014

Magadang Umaga (Good morning everyone!!)

The MTC has been a bitter sweet experience so far. It's been tough to adjust to the missionary life and spending your entire day in a classroom learning a new language and sharing a tiny bedroom with 6 other people. The worst part is that sometimes I feel as if I'm going through this change alone and I don't have too many people to be there for me. But as I pour out my heart and soul to the Lord I am able to be strengthened in my studies and recognize my purpose as a missionary. The MTC is just such a draining place and you want to leave and just go to the Philippines but then again you love it because of the spirit that has been felt through out the day.

I'm trying to do the absolute best I can to develop a relationship with my companion and my district but I just can't seem to develop that relationship to make the MTC a better place for all of us. I'm really hoping this next week will be a better week to grow as a companionship and a district so we can learn from the different qualities that we possess.

Some of the most spiritual experiences have happened this week. We got to teach Angelo three times this week and even though we're not even close to being where we need to be in the language, the spirit is still testifying that the words that we're saying are true and I'm able to really feel and rely on that assistance to teach investigators. But after we taught Angelo I asked one of our teachers, Brother Smith, "How can we teach from the spirit when all we really know are a few short sentences in Tagalog?" Then he said, "I'm going to bear my testimony all in Tagalog. You'll only be able to make out about 1/8 of the words that I'll say but tell me what you feel after." So he bore his testimony and he was right, I only made out about 1/8 of the words he was saying but the spirit still testified that what he was saying was true. I don't know why but that experience really stuck out to me on relying on the Holy Ghost to provide the words I need to help the people we teach. The biggest thing people need to do is FEEL the love of God through the Holy Ghost and it's our job to help them feel that love. Also, we're able to share our personal experiences and testimonies and I feel as if that is the time that we are able to grow and develop a better relationship together when we share those personal testimonies of the truthfulness of the gospel.

I'm really starting to come along in the language and can carry out a short conversation and able to pray all in Tagalog. Not only that but I'm able to make out most of the words that my teacher is trying to teach us. So personal and language study has been an extreme blessing in my life.

We were able to see what the outside world is like for a brief 30 minutes because my companion had to go to the ER after chipping his bone playing basketball. It was good to get outside for a short period of time and see what other people do outside of the MTC. 

I made a list of short term and long term goals yesterday. They're all going to really test my capabilities but I just need to pray for strength and assistance to follow up on those goals.

The gym has been the biggest help in my life to wind down and relax by playing volleyball or basketball. Even though it's only for about 45 minutes I still love going there to help me keep my mind off of the demands of learning a new language.

We get to go to the temple today! I'm excited for that. I feel like the temple is the best place to relax and really have a close and personal relationship with God and receive revelation as to what to do while on this mission. Just being on temple grounds during the Sunday walk helped me calm down, that's how sacred that place is!

I wish there's more stuff to write about but the thing about being at the MTC is that it's literally the same exact thing over, and over, and over again every single day. I'm sure I know the classroom better than the back of my hand now just from being in it for about 10 hours every single day. 

I love you all and I'll be thinking about you this week!! 

Mahal ko kayo (I love you!)

Elder Oslund

No comments:

Post a Comment